Simple steps to help prevent burglary
Posted on: 31 March 2010
Good security measures complement your insurance cover by helping to give you peace of mind, knowing your home is well protected.
- Fit sturdy deadlocks (British Standard BS3621 or equivalent) to all external doors and make sure that you always lock them securely when you go out.
- Fit key operated locks to windows, especially those downstairs and others that are easy to reach.
- Don’t leave any keys hanging inside locks. Always remove them and keep them out of sight and in a safe place.
- Make sure external doors and frames are strong and keep them maintained in a good condition - wooden doors should be at least 44mm thick.
- Security mark your property - having it marked helps police verify ownership
if it’s stolen. All Home & Legacy home insurance policyholders are sent SmartWater, the latest forensic coding technology in theft prevention to mark their property.
- Never leave a spare key in a convenient hiding place such as under the doormat, in a flowerpot or behind a loose brick - thieves know to look there first.
- Install outside security lighting; if other people can see your property a
burglar may think twice.
- Consider keeping your valuables in a safe and fitting a burglar alarm - Talk to Home & Legacy about recommended suppliers.
If you are going to be away for a while why not consider using the Homesitters service? A nationwide, live-in, house-sitting service with carefully selected employees trained specifically to care for your home and pets while you are away?
The service is available with a 10% discount to our Home & Legacy home insurance policyholders.